Monday 8 December 2008

A Biohazard double shot..

Wednesday night Biohazard played in Pumpehuset in Copenhagen. It was my first official outing where I knew my ex would be there as well after our separation, so I was pretty nervous! Could turn out to be a pretty awkward night, so when I closed down the salon I had a few beers with my bosses just to take the top of the nerves.. I was going alone to the show, but I know a hell of a lot of people who was going as well, so it wasn't too bad. When I arrived the manager, John, in Pumpehuset greeted me warmly like always. John has been working in Pumpehuset in all the years I have been coming there, and has always been there taking care of my friend Rikke and I when we would get a bit too drunk and rowdy in our teens! But this night John gave me a few drink tickets when he heard what had happened with Brian and I.. He also offered to cancel Brian's name from the guest list, but I guess that would be going a bit too far! I hung out with a few friends and clients and had a few drinks.. There were two support bands, The Kind That Kills and Härde Tidar, who were both Swedish. Both bands were OK, but something was missing, they didn't really reach the crowd, and a lot of people - myself included - took off to the bar. Brian and his friend showed up and I must admit that he handled the situation very well.. We just had a beer and a casual chat. After Härde Tidar there was quite a long break, and I soon found out it was because Evan Seinfeld was in the bar drinking with his HA buddies. My good friend Martin 'Lovegun' showed up with his boyfriend (No, not really, but I always tease them with it!) Casper 'Snake Venom', they both look like they have escaped from a Mötley Crüe video and I find them hilarious! Lovegun runs and DJ's at this club event called 'ROCK THE NIGHT' here, which is super 80's sleaze event with strippers and fireworks, where Snake also DJ's. The pair of them really live the lifestyle full on, and are a walking cliche! Lovegun told me that he just had been interviewed for 'Ugens Rapport' which is a very old school titty magazine and of course we had to celebrate that with even more drinks!
When Evan finally left the bar around 10.30 I knew it was time to go upstairs and get a good spot. The show as awesome!! They played all the classics: 'Urban Discipline', 'Punishment', 'Five blocks to the Subway', you name it, they played it! Before the show, I really didn't know what to expect from the crowd, because, let's face it: We are all 10-15 years older, 10-15 kilos heavier and very likely to sprain something in a moshpit! And a good moshpit and stagediving used to be a big part of a Biohazard show... So to my great thrill, people really went for it! They even got a massive circle pit going, which is something Danish crowds always suck at! I spend the gig close to front, between my two sleaze buddies trying to protect myself from flying arms and legs, and screaming my lungs out! There were a few technical glitches during the show, but they played a tight set full of sing along hardcore classics, it was all that I hope for and then some! The highlight for me was when they finished off 'How it is' and 'Hold my own'.
After the show I was just left wanting more, so I went and asked their merch guy, Derrick, if the show in Malmö was sold out. He didn't know, but told me to hang out and then he would see if he could fix something. A little while later Billy came out and we talked for a while about this and that.. I've meet Billy on several occasions when Biohazard has been in Cph, and he's always been really nice. After catching up on what has been happening in his life since last time he asks: 'So what do you do for a living?!' Well, I'm a hairdresser.. 'Can you cut my hair?!'.. Ehhh.. Now!?.. That was when I realized this would be a very long night and switched from beer to water!! So after some more hanging out and about 2 liters of water I went with Billy and his guitar tech AJ, who is in Billy's other band Suicide City, and opened the salon for them! They both loved the salon and I played them some Pilgrimz and other Danish bands. I must admit that cutting hair at 3 am is not something I usually do, but it was a lot of fun and the guys really appreciated it! So I guess I really earned my spot on the guest list for the show in Malmö!
I missed my last night bus home and had to wait until 5.30 when the first trains started to run, got home at 6.15 in the morning and slept until 10. Luckily I didn't have clients in the salon before 1 pm, so I could take it easy. I spend most of the day calling up friends to find someone who wanted to go with me to Malmö, but it seemed like everyone was either December stressed, had plans already or just boring! (",) After the work I jumped on a train to Malmö, it takes around 30 min, and I arrived in Malmö around 8 pm. Went by my friend Josh, who works in this bar at the Savoy Hotel, and he fixed me a few really good drinks, and also offered a couch to sleep on later (I probably looked like I needed it!).
When I arrived a KB, there were almost no people and it turned out that they almost hadn't sold any tickets, so Härde Tidar who were from Malmö had gotten an open guest list for the show.. They had a lot of what I usually call 'Smelly' punk friends, which is basically is punks who take pride in not showering! Not my cup of tea, I must say.. having had the 'pleasure' of doing hair on a few of these types I know up close and personal how they smell, and let's not forget, what 'lives' on them and in their dreadlocks. I know I sound really snobby, I just can't handle people with no personal hygiene! But I had timed my arrival so that Härde Tidar was just finish up and I talked a bit to merch guy Derrick while I waited for the show. I must say that I found Derrick a really sweet guy.. One of the few living gentlemen left, stuck in the body of a 26 year old. The whole scenario of being surround by smelly punks talking to this gentleman was kinda funny!
Before the show started I said hi to Billy and AJ, and was asked if I wanted to see the show from the side of the stage.. Why the hell not!!?.. So I right besides Danny's drumkit watching the first half of the show. It was quite cool to see that guy pound away, he is definitely a hard hitter and very tight as well. The only annoying thing was that there was this drum tech roadie guy who was really disgusting who kept hitting on me with all the crap pick up lines in the book (Being off the market for a few years, I desperately hoped these things had changed, but no!), so after half an hour I went out front again. Biohazard seemed to play a tighter show than the night before, I don't know if it was because they were working harder to win over the small crowd or because it was more intimate, but they certainly seemed more fired up. The set was almost the same, full of classics, just a bit shorter than i Cph, but I guess that was because of the lack of people! After the show I hung out and talked to Derrick for a while and then went back to the Hotel Savoy where Josh was closing up the bar. After picking on his very young and cute employee for a while we took a cab to his place where we had a few beers and obsessed a bit over our shared Trent Reznor fascination. I finally passed out around 5 am, and slept until 8 am.. and then back to work!!
So Friday seemed like a very long work day, but I got through it! I guess my body is not 15 anymore, but I sure had fun! It's so nice just getting out there and doing what you feel like and not having to answer to anyone.. I missed it!

5 comments:

Zakdaddy said...

Way to go, sounds like you had yourself an awesome time despite the smelly punks, makes me wanna hit the road again! Hope you've caught up with your sleeping by now, take care! Z

Miss On Fire said...

Yes, come by DK soon, I'll even open up the salon at 3 am for your misrable excuse for hair!! HAHAHAHA!! At least it will be quick and I think I can manage it even if I'm extremely drunk!! (",)
No, I'll be nice now, take care as well.. hugz!

Zakdaddy said...

Are you trying to say my hair is too short?:D Anyway one day someday in the future I'm sure we'll be back, I really need to make sure we have a day off afterwards though so I can visit some of them funky pubs you have with danish delights!

Miss On Fire said...

Ohh yes indeed! I'll find places with Mikkeller and Ølfabrikken on tab! and you better not be ill then!! (",) There will be no excuses next time..

Zakdaddy said...

Well believe me when I tell you that I wish I wasn't ill last time, there is NOTHING harder & more boring than having to go to bed with adrenaline pumping but I really was fucked & the little energy I had left in me was used for the gig...which I remember being pretty damn good!:D Mikkeller & Ølfabrikken are the shit, damn I need to get my hands on some of that stuff!