Thursday 13 November 2008

Beam me up scotty..



I had laser eye surgery this Tuesday.. I can already say that it's probably the best money I ever spend on ANYTHING! (Even shoes can't compete here!).. I have been wearing glasses or contacts since I was about 11 years old. I had roughly around -3 on each eye + a pretty complicated astigmatism.. To people who don't wear glasses I can explain it like I could only focus to about 20 cm from my nose! I had on many occasions when I've seen doctors gotten surgery recommended, but it's always really scary when it's your eyes, and I wasn't sure if the technology was developed enough to take the risk!..
Last autumn I finally made the decision to have it done, and started asking around to find the best place with the most experience. That place was unfortunately also the most expensive! But I decided that it wasn't a place where I wouldn't be petty about money..
After a trillion of checks and poking with strange things in my eyes, I finally had the surgery.. It was a pretty strange experience! Felt like I was in 'A clockwork orange' for 30 min, just without the Beethoven! hahah! You only get relaxing eye drops and aesthetics.. So you see, you feel, you smell, while they poke and nuke your eyes!.. when they were done it was hazy, but I could already see!! It's pretty fucking amazing!! My parents drove me home afterwards and nursed me.. I got a sleeping pill and went straight to sleep when I got home. Woke up about 2 hours after feeling like shit.. I can only compare it to 'tattoo fever', when you've been under the needle for to long and your body gives you this fever like reaction. My poor mom tried to help me and comfort me, and I went back to sleep again. 2 hours more sleep and I felt GREAT!! My vision has been pretty close to perfect since.. I had a control check yesterday and I now have +0.25 on each eye and the astigmatism is all gone!
So now I have to wear sunglasses outside for up to 3 months and drip my eyes with 'fake tears'.. It's good that I LURVE sunglasses and the 'Rockstar-Amy-Winehouse-hungover' look really suits me! heheh..
All I can say to anyone considering having this done is: DO IT!! It's such a gift to give yourself.. I know you don't think about it when you have a perfect vision, but waking up in the morning, opening your eyes and being able to see is GREAT!!

No comments: